Saturday, February 9, 2013

Already Gone, and 10 Reasons Why

I'm working on a couple of ideas for new posts of my own, but to keep this thing going one more week (I'm sure both my readers are checking in every hour or so just to see if I've finally posted again yet), I'll pass on something worthwhile, better than I could have written, by somebody that I knew nothing about before today, and still know next to nothing about other than the fact that he wrote an excellent piece entitled, Top 10 Reasons Our Kids Leave Church.  If you find out he's the spawn of the Dragon or something (I doubt it), I'm giving you my caveat in advance.  Surely we can find something wrong with him if we start looking for it.  
Already Gone, Why your kids will quit church and what you can do to stop it, written by Britt Beemer, Todd Hillard and Ken Ham opened my eyes to the fact that a mass exodus is taking place from supposedly Bible-teaching, Gospel-preaching Churches (Not just my own!  How about that.).  I have never thought that they answer they propose (spending more time teaching creationism) was the solution, but the statistical proofs that kids are leaving, and Sunday School, as we've been doing it is part of the problem, were undeniable. 

Mike Horton's Christless Christianity seemed to me to be getting closer to the real problem.  It wasn't that young people were rejecting the Bible because they had the wrong concept of Noah's Ark, but that they had the wrong concept of Christianity as just another ethical system, and one not all that carefully practiced by those that allegedly believed it.  

Thanks go to my daughter Amy for turning me on to this tremendous blog post that encapsulates what I believe to be the real problem.  As usual, the remedy would have to be more of Jesus Christ and Him crucified.  

  


1 comment:

  1. Utterly compelling! Thank you for linking to it.
    It made realize how much we have become like ostriches:

    Job 39:13b or wings and feathers unto the ostrich?
    14 Which leaveth her eggs in the earth, and warmeth them in dust,
    15 And forgetteth that the foot may crush them, or that the wild beast may break them.
    16 She is hardened against her young ones, as though they were not hers: her labour is in vain without fear;

    ReplyDelete